Hides Fine Foods’ New Year’s Broth
It’s the New Year: money is tight, we’ve been overindulging, and it’s cold. In our opinion, there is not much better than a cheap, healthy, and warming broth to start the year right. Bone broth is full of nutrients and is the perfect companion to Hides Fine Foods Soup Mix. It does require time, so if you don’t have the ability to make your own, you can buy it.
Bone Broth –
- 4.5kg beef bones
- 4 large carrots, cut into thick rounds
- 2 large onions, cut into four
- 2 heads of garlic, each cut in half
- 6 stalks of celery, cut into thick rounds
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- 3 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Blanch the bones in two pots. Cover the bones with cold water, and one boiled, simmer over a high heat for 20 minutes. Drain the bones, and rinse with water.
- Preheat the oven to 230c/210 fan. Spread them out in roasting tins (you may need to use two tins for this), and cook for 30 minutes. Toss them and cook for another 15-30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Whilst they are roasting, wash the pots you used for blanching the bones. Then one the bones and vegetables are done roasting, transfer them into your pots. Make sure to scrape all of the juices and flavour into the pots!
- Add all of your aromatics and apple cider vinegar, and fill each pot with around 2.5 litres of water. Make sure the bones are submerged, and then bring to a boil on a low heat.
- Now, simmer for around 8 hours, longer if you can. Occasionally skim the fat from the top of the pot and keep the lid slightly ajar.
- Once cooked, strain. You will now have a lovely bone broth. Pick out the meat from the bones as this can be eaten!
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 6 months.
New Year’s Broth –
- 200g Hides Fine Foods Soup Mix
- 500g carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2.5 litres bone broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add in the onion and saute for a few minutes, then add the carrots and celery. Saute for another 4 minutes.
- Put in the pan the remaining ingredients, and simmer for about 40 minutes. Before you take off the heat, make sure the pulses are softened.
- Serve and enjoy!
The information in this article is correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of publication. Hides Fine Foods takes no responsibility for the subsequent use or application of the information provided in this article.