Fava is a greek recipe, a dip which we might see resonant of hummus. It’s often eaten as a side, and is perfect as an accompaniment to a greek mezze:
3 cloves of garlic
2 red onions
1 litre water
80ml olive oil
2 lemons, juiced
Salt and pepper
1 Bay Leaf
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot on a medium heat. Add in the chopped onions and garlic, and saute.
- Pour in the water, and add in the yellow split peas.
- Season with salt and pepper and place in the bay leaf. Simmer for 45 minutes until cooked. Throughout the cooking, skim off any white foam on the surface.
- Once cooked, remove the bay leaf. Blend until smooth. Stir in the lemon juice and the remaining olive oil. Season further to taste – the fava will thicken up once cooled!
- You can garnish with toppings such as smoked paprika, and serve with pita bread!